For far too long the Pilanesberg has been thought to many as a haven for the big five, golf, wave pools, gambling but ignored the very people of this place. So who are these people?
... People who once long ago made rain
... who throw the bones to see the future
... who made giant clay pots using ancient knowledge
... who heal the sick and suffering with plants from the land
... who believe in God and the wisdom of their ancestors
... Who are these people?
Us, the Bakgatla-ba-Kgafela. Amogelesega – Welkom – Welcome.
We have lived and worked in the Pilanesberg for centuries and are proud to share our history, culture and future vision with you.
At the newly launched Moruleng Cultural Precinct, 3 kms from the Pilanesberg National Park's Bakgatla Gate, North West, on the slopes of the Mmammitlwa Mountain, you can:
- Experience Bakgatla-ba-Kgafela hospitality
- Explore our ancient traditions
- Reflect on the wisdom of our ancestors
- Take part in cultural activities
- Enjoy a traditional meal
- Discover unique local art and crafts
- Listen to stories of our past
- Immerse yourself in BBK life as it was then and as it is now
- Be energised by our vision of a bright South Africa future